SumoMe Email

Friday, July 22, 2011

The Edge....Are You Willing To Enter At Your Own Risk?

Did you ever think you were on the edge of something?  Did you step out on it?  Or maybe you were always fearful of falling, so you never went out to the edge.

Blaring T.V.'s, ringing phones, screaming kids who shine flashlights in your eyes and noisy crank horns in your ear....it's enough to drive you crazy.  Who can think with all the noise?  Turn down the noise.  Talk a walk down my Sunset Drive.....were the street is straight and narrow and seems to go on forever.

One night, as I was out walking down Sunset Drive, I felt as if I actually found THE straight and narrow path that I had been looking for.  The night was dry and hot.  The air felt heavy.  The road was long, but felt like a porthole to a new reality.  I walked as though I was headed into a new dimension.  Here I am.  The new me.  The one I had been working on so hard to try and crack THE code....the one that leads me into my calling.  I don't know if I ever will really KNOW what my true calling is or if there even is ONE true calling, but this week....I found the real me.  The funny, witty, happy person I always wished I could be.  How did I get here?  Where was I going?

As I made my way to Vineyard Beach, I notice a sign decorated the arbor gate entrance, but I didn't read it, I just noticed it was there.  I was interested in the sunset.  I wondered if I was too late.  As I approached the edge of the park, I could barely see the bright glow of the sun peeking out through the trees.  Oh how amazing.  I made it.  It was a brilliant orange ball of light heading for a new tomorrow.  I couldn't take my eyes off of it.  I continued closer to the edge where the old wooden fence kept park patrons safe from falling down the crumbling, wave beaten cliffed shoreline.  As I got to the edge....I literally thought....oh how amazing, I am on the edge of glory.  I just sat there in complete and utter awe.

As I leaned against the fence, I looked a little closer.  I saw something far off in the distance.  I couldn't really make it out. It looked like a black dot.  As my eyes focused, the boat had a passenger of one.  A kayak.  One lonely passenger in a big "ocean" of water.  Maybe it wasn't so lonely.  There was another black dot far behind the first.  There were two.  One further ahead of the other.  No worries I thought.  It isn't a race.  It's all about the journey.  I am confident the guy in back knew that too.  One moves ahead, the other catches up, then moves ahead again.  Ebb and flow.  The cycle of life.  Calm.  Cool.  Collected.  Some days are sour grapes and others are a fine aroma of a dry Chianti.  That's just how life is.  No race (well, o.k. it is a race....but it's not a 5k or a 13.1, but a 26.2---I finally figured out those damn stickers on the cars) 

Things take time to shake out.  Sometimes..... people drop out of the race only to retrain again for something even bigger than before.  Smelling roses is great, but only lasts a few seconds (before you start sneezing, that is).  I was sad to see the sun go, but I realized it was opening up a new tomorrow else where in the world.  I made my way back to the entrance of the park.  As I crossed under the arbor gate,  I looked back and read the sign that had always been there.  It said....enter at your own risk.  If I didn't enter at my own risk, mine eyes wouldn't have seen the glory.  I saw something amazing.  Something not many in a lifetime get to see.   I was on the edge and it felt amazing.

Are you willing to take risks?  Are you willing to step out and look for the edge?  Take a look around.  Then take another look around.  And still another.  What do you see?  If you ever find where the sidewalk ends, take a look again.  It might be worth the risk to question if that statement is really true.

No comments: