SumoMe Email

Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Flight of Women Cartwheelling Through Life


I was relieved to rationalize with a co-worker that we women, really are doing cartwheels through life.  The post college decade was so the first sequence of the cartwheel.  Hopefully, we start somewhere over the rainbow if we're lucky.   We're embarking on a prosperous future, one that brings excitement, money and what is a new found freedom.  We find a partner, buy a house, work hard, play hard.  We are all about moving ourselves forward.  It really is all about ME.

We start to build a career and climb the ladder.  We start a family.  We enter into the realm of distress...full of new love for the creation we brought into this world and love for the passion we chase after in our work.  Suddenly, we are responsible for another. Torn between 2 worlds. So...we weigh the odds of staying crazy trying to steer 2 ships at full speed, let one suffer or drop one and steer the other really well.  Many choose to drop one (and that wouldn't be the kid) and raise the other.  Little do we realize once these amazing creatures are in our hands all hell is about to break loose on the same day we find heaven.  Soon enough...we find comfort in the fact that we are putting our best foot forward in a direction that will lead, nourish and hopefully not damage our children.  This stage is really a progression into the next sequence when we really are left upside down.

Did someone say upside down...yep.  That's where I woke up a few months ago....upside down. I felt it and hated it....but the problem was I didn't realize it was all part of the new age sequence us women are going through.  My life was so amazing and in perfect alignment during the first sequence post college.  Finances, careers, houses, cars, friends, love....it was all good...well, except for the fact that I had to deal with my struggle between doing good for the world and selling plastic shoes.  When kids came along....I faced the new culture of play dates, teaching morals, organization, potty breaks, kisses and lots of learning how to be a good mom and not to forget how to be a good wife and not to mention not to forget the skills I acquired during the last sequence which could be put to good use on the PTA and not to mention managing those relationships and well, we don't want to forget cooking for nutrition and finicky eaters and learning how to deduce symptoms from illnesses so as to avoid being at the pediatrician multiple times a week and also learning to live with out all the luxuries that we so got used to during our DINK era.

Children....whoa...what world did I wake up in....did someone say alien nation?  When "they" said....children would change your life, I had no idea....with that said....I'm just glad for the good days and actually glad for the bad days.  With out the bad days....I wouldn't have went searching and yearning to do better.  The good days....well, those days were so elating...it was truly amazing.  

So back to the sequence...I was upside down...completely opposite of where I was on the ladder of success...but I loved it.  It became cozy and lovey and sometimes yucky, but mostly warm and fuzzy like a teddy bear.  Then....there was time after the kids were in school full time....time to actually become a productive member of society and for me....I wanted to change the world....but I wasn't sure exactly how to do that quite yet and so came the awfulness of being upside down....years of being away from the work world and networking and doing the things you need to do to get ahead.

But guess what?....the sequence isn't over....once you're upside down....you go into the landing.

So...let's review....life seems perfect....life changes and we adapt and change....but then we have to go back to civilian life....and we are turned upside down upon reentry.  Once we are re-acquainted with the real working world....we make the perfect landing....well....the important thing is that we make a landing.

Guess what?...the cartwheel sequence probably keeps on going, but the fact that I can resonate with a cartwheel makes me realize the roller coaster us working women are thrown into once we have kids is really an amazing feat.  As crazy as it sounds....I compare it to an inmate being dumped back into the "real" world.

With that said....I want a badge....I want recognition for doing a tour on mommy island.  It's time that everyone realize what us women (or men who choose that route) go through.  It really is a big feat.

Just so you know....I love being in my 30's and I wouldn't change a thing....I'm just glad I'm working on my landing right now.  Thank God for the sequence....I feel much better...

I did figure out something else....it's all about your attitude and not your age.  Salute!

I think we're gonna plan a roller skating party tomorrow.  I hope they have Ms. Pac-Man......  


No comments: